Sunday, September 14, 2014

Balloonfoxhunt 2014 @ PE4BAS home

My daughter and me were following the balloon today. Although there was not much to follow as we were at home and followed mostly via radio, facebook and livestream PI6ATV. The only thing I could hear at first was the beacon with S0-1 and a lot of QSB. After the burst suddenly the signal from the transponder went up from nil to S7 and I could hear a lot of stations. I did some attempts to transmit via the balloons transponder but the distance was to big for my simple setup. However, PE1BVQ Hans living much more south of me did have a lot of succes. I recorded some of his QSOs. Later on I made a contact to the 40m clubstation PI4RCG at the flight control center in Hilversum. My harmonic Anneli insisted to talk on the radio as well, I think she is a little too young to talk to other stations. But just to practise she did some CQ at a self chosen frequency on 20m, no response anyway. I think I have to think about kidsday participation though.
She already got her own radio as you can see in the video...


9 comments:

Paul Stam PAØK said...

Hallo Bas, het is altijd leuk om je kinderen warm te krijgen voor amateur radio. Helaas is het mij niet gelukt. Ik heb 5 kinderen, nog 3 uit mijn eerste huwelijk, maar niemand die het leuk vind wat ik doe. Mijn vader was ook zendamateur, maar niemand hier die het stokje overneemt. ;-) 73 Paul

Hans said...

Hallo Bas, leuk om mijzelf terug te horen. Het was een heksenketel op de ballontransponder, maar toch zag ik af en toe een mogelijkheid om een QSO te maken. Het is een prachtig gezicht hoe Anneli met die microfoon over de kanalen aan het schakelen is. Als je niks opdringt en haar lekker haar gang laat gaan (wat jullie ook doen) dan heb je wel eens kans dat ze nog meer interesses krijgt in onze hobby. Wie weet, zou wel leuk zijn. Mijn dochter en zoon vinden het wel leuk maar om nou zelf wat in die richting te gaan doen, nee dat ontbreekt helaas. 73 Hans, PE1BVQ

MØYKS Simon said...

Great signal! Nice video and your daughter looks ready to operate the camera :-) best 73 Simon and family

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Hallo Paul, je kan het niet afdwingen. Je hebt er wat mee of niet. Maar ik zal het wel aanmoedigen. 73, Bas

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Hallo Hans, ik had de camera aanstaan en hoorde je call dus dat was een kwestie van knopje drukken. Daarna nog een paar keer. Je kwam echt super over de transponder, goed verstaanbare modulatie. Anneli had er echt zin in en wou 's ochtends al luisteren. Ik zal eens kijken of kids day al wat voor haar is. Ach, ik weet dat de meeste jeugd er geen interesse in heeft en zal haar ook nergens toe dwingen. We zien het wel. 73, Bas

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Hello Simon, thanks for your comment. Anneli did make some photos as well with the camera but I don't publish them as I am on it ;-) Anyway, I think you ment the radio....she is getting it slowly. Next year we going to try a contest :-) 73, Bas

Ian Harling said...

Hello Bas.I was able to make some nice qso's through the transponder on Sunday but also notice how much weaker the transponder was compared to the beacon on 145.450.When the balloon burst then the transponder came up to S9 so maybe a loose connection on the antenna???.73.Ian. G7HFS/PA3IKH

Ian Harling said...

Ps. .My qth on Sunday was on the hills above Eastbourne. .JO00DS. 73.Ian

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Hello Ian, I did hear several QSO from you on the transponder. At least one is in the video with PE1BVQ. The problem with the transponder is under investigation, no one knows what happened yet. 73, Bas