Sunday, September 29, 2024

Provisional end of the experimental multiband halo


 Regular readers of this blog know that I build an experimental multiband square halo in 2022

After two years in my tower it started to detoriate. Of course this was kind of a prototype and very experimental and I know everything comes to an end. But it was a very solid performer and lots of DX could be worked. 





High performance speaker cable it reads. The thing is....the black insulation is perfect but the red one doesn't seem to withstand the elements...


Isolation just detoriated. 


Wire breaks on almost every corner.


Wires began to hang because the construction is not that solid.

I think I will make a rebuild, Have to search for alternative wire. I might use 300 Ohm twinlead or something else. Have to reinforce the construction as well... Weight is an issue of course. It would be so much easier using a thin single wire like most cobwebb designs use. I might consider that as well since I don't think there is much less performance not using full size loops instead of just dipoles, I could be wrong of course...

No comments: