Friday, August 9, 2024

2001 Antenna work - Avanti PDL2

 I obtained this cubical quad antenna late nineties of last century. It belonged to Erik PA7V long before he became a licensed radio amateur. Erik is still living near to me and active but we don't hear each other much.

I wrote about this antenna before in one of my first posts on this blog in 2008. The Avanti PDL2 is a well known 11m antenna. After installation I worked some incredible DX with it. Recently I rediscovered some old photos which were long forgotten but for some unknown reason stored on my dads computer. Why and how this happened cannot be asked because he died little over a week ago. Anyway, I want to share them with you on this blog. Photos are taken in 2001, 23 years ago.

PDL2 before assembly

Assembling the PDL2, notice my shack in the back

Assembling the PDL2




Several parts of this antenna are re-used in antenna projects still in use today. The boom was used to make a 10m HB9CV in the past. The glasfiber poles are still used in my experimental squalo which is still in my tower. The tower on the picture has been sold in 2004.

I remember it was a nice project. I used both vertical and horizontal polarisation. However I found the front-back rejection not that good. I think I used this on my tower for about half a year and replaced it by another antenna from which I also found photos. I will share them on this blog later...

1 comment:

PB1S said...

Veel sterkte toegewenst, Bas!