Thursday, May 30, 2024

My quest to learn CW (6)

 ...Slowly it goes...


These are the general statistics. What you don't see is how many attempts I made with the lessons. Here we go:


I completed the 28wpm/8wpm effective speed this month completing my goal; lesson 40 with 100% accuracy. I started all over at lesson 1 with a speed of 28wpm/9wpm effective and I'm close now to complete lesson 40 with 100%. You see my CW skill is improving...

Thanks to PF5T Frank who I met personally last Saturday on the radiorally. I started sending CW using the method Chuck Adams K7QO recommends in this document here:

http://n5dux.com/ham/files/pdf/Using%20Iambic%20Paddles.pdf

Of course it is handy to see what he means. There are a lot of videos about it. One of it can be seen here:

https://youtu.be/ZdzjvIk_aY0?feature=shared

Some people tell me it is more important to learn decode CW first and send the code later. But I find that sending morse with the paddle learns me to faster copy the letters at the LCWO lessons. I think everyone has their own method of learning. The method I try now suits me well, I have fun and notice I get better everyday.

Is it time to make my first CW QSO? Well, I'm afraid not....or am I just afraid?

Update 31-May: 

 

I can now continue with the next speed level....28wpm/10wpm effective.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Bas

If you use an iambic key, it's indeed a good idea to learn the iambic squeeze straight away. It is more efficient that slapping the paddles. You only have to find out if you prefer mode A or mode B. I like mode A because I hate it that I get extra elements send (aka, I probably don't understand mode B well enough, hi).

As for you first contacts, try and listen to the Nervous Novice CW Net, which is run by Eamo on Wednesday's. No pressure in there.

73, Martin, PE1EEC/PE6X

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Hallo Martin, ik zal eens gaan luisteren. Ik kan de IC-7300 volgens mij niet om mode-A zetten. Die gebruikt standaard mode-B. Ik wen er wel aan.

73, Bas

QRP - When you care to send the very least! said...

Great job, keep at it Bas - you'll never regret it!

72 de Larry W2LJ

PB1S said...

Hi Bas,

Very nice to read your posts about CW and follow your progress. Nice to see that you are making great progress.

I still practice headcopying CW every day. Progress is noticeable, but in baby steps. Months ago I stopped typing altogether because I found myself decoding based on muscle memory and thinking in the positions of the keys on the keyboard. I practice headcopying with Morse Ninja's "top 500 words" exercises, at 30 wpm and higher speeds. Learning words helps you recognize new words and letter combinations.

Because I was reading about the progress you are making with the practice of sending, I also ordered a Simplex basic key. It will arrive on Monday. Thank you very much for sharing the document written by K7QO. The timing is perfect! I'll be using the iambic mode from the start. I hope that practicing sending will also further improve the decoding process.

Good luck and 73!

Bertwin (PB1S)

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Hallo Bertwin, ja gewoon in je hoofd de zinnen/woordenvormen is het beste. Zo ver ben ik nog niet. Succes met de paddle en leren zenden. 73, Bas

Anonymous said...

Goedemiddag Bas,

Ik ben ook nu druk lerende. Zinnen lukt zeker nog niet. Steeds vaker lukt het om een geleerd woord in één keer te decoderen. Soms ook niet, dan moet ik het woord nog een keer horen.

CW leren is volgens mij precies hetzelfde als leren lezen en schrijven. Eerst leer je letters te herkennen. Daarmee worden woorden gemaakt die je helemaal moet spellen om te kunnen begrijpen welk woord het is. Hoe vaker je het woord hebt gelezen, hoe sneller je het woord zult herkennen. Tot je op een gegeven moment zelfs korte zinnen in één oogopslag kunt lezen zonder enige moeite.

Het oefenen van het herkennen van woorden gaat heel plezierig met de oefeningen van Morse Ninja. Begin met de top 100 meest voorkomende woorden: https://youtu.be/KbXyhz7rFUU?si=0b8kZst6t3ozK_YA Deze is beschikbaar in verschillende snelheden. Als je een woord kent is sneller zelfs gemakkelijker. Als je de woorden kent ga je naar de top 200 woorden, etc. Het mooie is dat je kunt oefenen terwijl je je handen voor iets anders gebruikt, zoals autorijden bijvoorbeeld.

Veel succes en een fijne zondag!

73, Bertwin

VE9KK said...

Good morning Bas and very nice to read about your learning adventure with CW. You are doing great and making very good progress.
73,
Mike
VE9KK

PE4BAS, Bas said...

@Bertwin, bedankt voor de link. Heb de 28wpm even een stukje gedaan. Die is redelijk te doen. Ik ga het eens even op mijn MP3 speler zetten. In een auto zit ik niet zo vaak. Maar op de fiets kan het ook natuurlijk. 73, Bas

@Mike, I always appreciate your comment. That way I know that you still read my posts. I'm satisfied about my progress, I already anticipated that learning CW will take a long time. It's also fun to write about it once a month. 73, Bas