Friday, March 4, 2022

QRZ.com blocks Russian callsigns

 https://www.dx-world.net/qrz-com-blocks-russian-callsigns/

https://yo3hjv.blogspot.com/2022/03/qrzcom-banned-russian-ham.html

I personally disagree. But you have to remember QRZ.com is not ours but in possession of an USA HAM called AA7BQ Fred. He can do what he wants with his site. I do remember he had some issues before regarding a "black lifes matter" call. Many USA Hams are very shortsighted and I think it has to do with culture and might sometimes be an education issue.

You might read YO3HJV's blogpost because that translates my vision on it as well. Banning Russian radioamateurs from our community is just as stupid as not working them any more. This does not add anything to peace, it just makes it worse for all.

QRZ.com is not the only site to find info on hamradio operators...

https://www.hamqth.com/

https://www.qrzcq.com/

https://hamcall.net/

Although, not using QRZ.com or removing your QRZ info from the database doesn't add anything as well. I hope Fred will have some regrets and try to help those in need in another way.

Update: https://qrznow.com/qrz-com-reconsidered-and-reversed-russians-blocking-action/

Glad Russian HAMs are back into the database...

8 comments:

PC1I said...

Hi Bas,

I removed all data from my QRZ page and asked to delete my account.
When this becomes the standard, I do not want to be part of it.

In the end Fred himself started to make the site partly useless by blocking data, so removing info does add something. ;-)

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Everyone has to decide for themselves what to do. I saw others do this as well. Luckely there are some alternatives. 73, Bas

Paul Stam PAØK said...

Hi Bas, I think it's a silly move by QRZ.com. I was already afraid that this mass hysterical action would happen. Most Russian citizens and radio amateurs are not happy with this war either. I think it's stupid to remove Russian amateurs from QRZ.com. I have worked for many Russians for the past 45 years and have become friendly with some of them. As radio amateurs, let us not get carried away with belligerent political leaders. I hope that this madness will soon end and that we will be united again. In peace and sanity.

VE9KK said...

Good afternoon Bas, I was just rechecking QRZ.COM and it seems that there has been a reconsideration regarding Russian radio op's on QRZ.COM. I checked a few Russian calls and all seems well at QRZ.COM now. Not sure what changed Fred's mind but it would be good to know why the about face. He had no issues telling us why he was blocking them now inform us why you have decided to do the right thing?

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Hello Paul, indeed I madness will be over soon. Wish peace for everyone. 73, Bas

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Not shure either Mike but it turned out everything was back to normal within a few hours. I'm shure Fred's intentions are good. However this is (was) not the right way to protest against this war. 73, Bas

John AE5X said...

Netflix and other media companies have suspended service to Russia. Is this wrong also?

73,
John AE5X

PE4BAS, Bas said...

What is wrong and what is right? In a war you never know for shure. What I know is that most russian people really don't want any war happening. But you're right on your own blog article, many in russia do not know. Hope this whole nightmare will be over soon. 73, Bas