Sunday, December 27, 2020

Todays experiment

 Well, it was a rainy dark day with lots of wind. What experiment will we do today? Not too difficult....


What do we have here: A bag with lots of cables and a battery, some coax, a 30m WSPR transceiver and a magloop. I've build this all some years ago...

So...the coax was broken, but I had another piece slightly longer. Let's see what can be reached. Loop is oriented north/south. The transmitter does 1W WSPR. This is a super simple setup. I even haven't got a GPS. It is time based and switched it on at the exact time with the help of my wristwatch which has a exact time.

Although the WSPRnet.org site is not that reliable anymore I managed to gather 17 unique spots.

Since I find the coax a bit too long for this experiment I investigated what was wrong in the short piece of coax.


Although the coax was nicely covered with heatshrink tubing it was worn inside just behind the PL connector causing a short. I think this coax is quite old, it was given to me for free years ago. Never used it till now....I'll repair it for another experiment...

No comments: