Saturday, December 12, 2020

#10m ARRL contest - first day

 Well, in the previous years I did some band condition investigations in the week before this 10m contest. There was no time to do it this year. We had some fantastic propagation on 10m last weeks, but not this weekend. When I switched the radio on this morning I was disappointed, only noise could be heard. After a while I heard FR4QT from Reunion on SSB, but he didn't hear me unfortunately. I guess he's using some power and I only use 100W. I heard a few weak signals on CW but too weak to decode. I decided it would be a waste of time and effort to stay on the radio. So I went outside to do other things and returned after a while and a nice cup of coffee. This time I heard some CW signals and was fortunate enough to make a few QSOs. Later on I even managed to work some on SSB. The strange thing is that some of the signals came up till S9 and then vanished a few seconds later. And of course the same thing as always, I hear far more compared to what I can work with my 100W. The benefit of a low noise environment and a LFA beam I guess. When all signals vanished again I decided to do some other things in the afternoon and return just before sunset. At the evening greyline the propagation lifted a bit. I was able to work V51WH Gunther from Namibia again and a few from Brazil on CW. Best DX was on SSB with LW5HR from Argentina on SSB (+11000km). Not bad for a bad 10m propagation day! I worked 17 stations from 11 DXCC for the first day, hopefully tomorrow will be a bit better, we'll see...



5 comments:

ON5ZO said...

Hi Bas
I was in and out of the shack this morning and checked the CW part of 10m until 1130utc but UA3 and S5/LZ was the best there was.
I closed the books and didn't listen anymore.
Maybe tomorrow?
73!

John AE5X said...

Hello Bas,

I'm experiencing the same QSB today that you mentioned, but not yesterday when the band and signals were mostly consistent. I wish now that I had spent more time last night on the air. If I'd known then how today would be...

Good luck to you - maybe tomorrow will be better.

73 - John

PE4BAS, Bas said...

I've seen you spotted Franki but didn't hear you. We'll hope for better propagation tomorrow. 73, Bas

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Thanks John, I hope for good propagation. 73, Bas

Diego - LW5HR said...

Thanks for the QSO. Hope to see you again soon. Can't wait for the new solar cicle to start