Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Operating from the cold extreme

Phil KL8DX and Bob VA3QV would probabely laughing out loud. Operating from the warm car in the snow not from Alaska, not from Canada, but from the cold north of the Netherlands. But be honest, it looks pretty extreme. I did activate COTA PA-00007 again and probabely will activate it till I get at least 50 QSOs to validate this castle. This time I parked the car at my job within 1km from the Menkemaborg castle. It was again -3 C and snowing this time. I first worked EI3GAB while I was still driving (slowly). Next were HA6OD, S52ON, YL2CF and EW1BBA. Today I made a effort again, 20m looks quiet but propagation is there. I heard a station from New York with 5/7. I made QSOs with LY3I Vytas, 4X4REM Shachar (13 years old!), UU1JH Serge and PD0FF Foppe. I will be trying next days as well as the weather is too bad to cycle to my job. I'll be on air in SSB between 11-12 UTC around the SOTA frequencies (7131, 14251, 18131 etc.).

My position on google maps.
Note: there is some snow now ;-)
Phil KL8DX en Bob VA3QV lachen zich nu natuurlijk helemaal lam. Met de radio werken vanuit een warme auto in de sneeuw niet vanaf Alaska, niet vanaf Canada maar hier in het koude noorden van Nederland. Nou ja zeg zel, het lijkt toch wel een beetje extreem zo. Ik heb weer de Menkemaborg PA-00007 geactiveerd en zal het nog wel een paar keer doen totdat ik minimaal 50QSO's in het log heb staan om dit kasteel te valideren. Dit keer heb ik de auto op mijn werk geparkeerd binnen 1 Km van de Menkemaborg. Het was weer -3 C en dit keer sneeuwde het ook nog. Ik werkte als eerste EI3GAB terwijl ik nog rustig aan over het terrein reed. Daarna werkte ik HA6OD, S52ON, YL2CF en EW1BBA. Vandaag deed ik weer een poging, 20m lijkt aardig rustig toch zijn er wel condities. Ik hoorde een station uit New York met RS5/7. Gewerkt werd met LY3I Vytas, 4X4REM Shachar (13 jaar oud!!), UU1JH Serge and PD0FF Foppe. Ik zal de komende dagen weer proberen om wat contacten te maken omdat het weer toch te slecht is om naar het werk te fietsen. Ik zal op SSB rond de middag van 12-13 lokale tijd rond de SOTA frequenties zitten.

 

13 comments:

Ricardo - CT2GQV said...

Hello Bas,

That's really cold! Will try to listen to you the next days with the "Speaky", but only have 17m for now.

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Hi Ricardo, I'll try 17m tomorrow. 18.131 USB or around that frequency...73, Bas

Tjeerd, PA3GNZ said...

Bas,

Weer eens wat anders dan IOTA en SOTA.

73, Tjeerd

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Hoi Tjeerd, ja COTA Cold On The Air ;-) 73, Bas

MØYKS Simon said...

Keep well insulated and have lots of good QSO while you have the car. I have been doing the same thing, my motor cycles are locked up and cosy till it melts! 73 happy DX Simon 2E0HTS

Hans said...

Hallo Bas,

Ik zal het tijdstip en de banden in de gaten houden en je op het cluster zetten.
En wie weet lukt het ons nog om een QSO te maken hi.
Die van vandaag kun je in iedergeval weer erbij schrijven.
Hoeveel moet je er nog?

73 Hans, PE1BVQ

Bert, PA1B said...

Hallo Bas, dat is leuk, Je hoeft voor de de COTA niet ver te rijden,zoals naar een vuurtoren. Leuke lijst, met leuke verbindingen. Mooie foto van de auto. hi Veel plezier. 73, Bert

PE4BAS, Bas said...

I'll do my best Simon, but still it is cold outside. Inside the car about 5-10 C. I won't do it for more then 1 hour. 73, Bas

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Hallo Hans, helaas vandaag geen enkele verbinding kunnen maken zowel op 17 als 20m. Ik kreeg gewoon geen respons. Op 20m nog wel Australië gehoord met 57, dus condities waren er wel. 73, Bas

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Hallo Bert, jaja en PA-00009 zit nog dichter bij. Jammer dat ik niet binnen een kilometer van een kasteel zit thuis, of nog mooier er in woon. Dan kon ik gewoon vanuit de warme shack werken ;-) 73, Bas

PH0NO said...

Het moet wel een beetje een sport blijven hè! ;-)

KL8DX said...

Bas - Good luck on getting to 50 QSO's! As I write this, temperature is -32F here and cold is cold! I've found coax is very unforgiving in the colder temps and just not easy to work with. The coldest I've operated in was -20F and it was not for long. I love the photo and winter is one of my favorite seasons, not because of the cold but because of the contests :0)

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Thanks for the comment Phil, still I have some to go for 50 QSO. Temperature here in the Netherlands is cold for us but nothing compared to Alaska. As soon as snow is falling here the whole country is in panic. Trains not driving anymore and more then 1000km traffic jams. And another strange thing here is iceskating fever, people are just getting crazy when they see ice on the lakes, canals and ditches. Everyone wants to iceskate one of the national sports here. 73, Bas