Friday, February 22, 2013

Down for the wood!

I was not able to do radio too much after the PACC contest. Although I tried to participate in both the RSGB RTTY test on 80m and the russian PSK contest on 40m. The RTTY contest went chaotic, it's just that my Icom cannot handle very strong signals and with the 80m loop you get most of the time 3 layers of stations on the same frequency. I did call CQ, but I could hardly receive anything as most of the time 4 or 5 stations came back at the same time. So after 25 QSO's I stopped. Then next day my neighbour started sawing some trees which are close to my property. One of the trees fell on my 80m loop, so I was without the loop for more then a week.  I had to find another fastening point for one of the radials of my vertical too. So that left me the vertical and 40m for the Russian PSK contest in which I just participated for about a hour. Best DX was Thailand the QSO with E21YDP, not bad at all! The nice thing is that this neighbour  offered me all the wood for the stove, so I'm a happy guy after all. Today I got a day off work. It was nice weather and I decided to repair the loop with a little help from my harmonic. All went well, and this evening I had one hour to test the loop again, the DX went right in on 30m PSK with VK5CE and KP4ED

Ik heb niet heel veel tijd aan radio kunnen besteden na de PACC.  Alhoewel ik nog wel de RSGB RTTY contest op 80m en de Russische PSK contest op 40m heb geprobeerd. De RTTY contest ging niet echt lekker, de Icom kan niet echt sterke signalen aan die je wel krijgt met de loop. Over het algemeen heb ik gewoon 3 lagen stations onder elkaar zitten. Een tijdje CQ roepen gaf veel respons, maar ik kon er niet veel van maken omdat er vaak wel 4 tot 5 stations tegelijk riepen. Na 25 QSO's dan ook maar gestopt. De volgende dag ging mijn buurman maar eens bomen zagen die tussen ons in staan, 1 boom raakte mijn loop en dus zat ik een dikke week zonder. Het betekend ook dat ik een ander bevestigingspunt moest zoeken voor een radiaal van mijn verticale antenne. Dus toen maar een uurtje op 40m het Russische PSK contest gedaan. Beste DX was toch even Thailand E21YDP, dat is toch niet gek. Het mooie is dat mijn buurman mij al het hout gaf dat hij gezaagd had om in de houtkachel te doen, dat maakt alles weer goed! Vandaag had ik een vrije dag. Het was mooi weer en ik besloot samen met mijn QRPtje de loop weer te herstellen. Alles ging goed en vanavond had ik een klein uurtje om de loop even weer te testen, de DX kwam gelijk weer in de radio op 30m PSK werkte ik VK5CE en KP4ED achter elkaar.

8 comments:

Ricardo - CT2GQV said...

Bas,

No loop...but plenty of wood for the cold weather!

73, Ricardo

John AE5X said...

Bas, your little harmonic looks like a future DXer and antenna expert!

Hans said...

Hallo Bas,

Mooie DX met PSK gemaakt, je 80m loop weer hersteld en gratis openhaard hout voor de komende winter.
Wat wil een OM nog meer hi.
Goed weekend,

73 de Hans, PE1BVQ

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Hi Ricardo, loop is up again thanks to my little harmonic helping me. Wood is more important then the loop. 73, Bas

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Johnn, I hope so. My XYL would not be too happy with it. But overall she is very interested in technology like computers, switches, knobs, diplays etc. 73, Bas

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Ja Hans zo is het. Warm zitten is ook belangrijk....73, Bas

VE9KK said...

Good evening Bas, good to hear that you were able to scoop the wood. As for the antenna well I guess someone thought you looked like you had nothing to do.
Mike

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Well, I always look relaxed. That's the way it is ;-) I'm glad the loop is working again. As I'll use it for the last time this season at the end of next month in the CQWW WPX SSB. 73, Bas