Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Fieldday electrocution

Last year September I tested the PE1BVQ endfed on my fieldday location at Rensumaborg in Uithuizermeeden. It did a great job and I was surprised when I received a official certificate for the second place in the QRP section from the VERON. Not that I need a certificate, but it is always nice to receive one for your efforts. I think the VERON needs to rework the certificates as this one has nothing to do with a fieldday. It's just a standard certificate. From my point of view it would have been better to send it as PDF to my e-mail address instead of the paper mail. Thanks to the VERON anyway.

Now, when receiving this certificate I was already thinking of new fieldday adventures. Setting up the trampoline for my daugther last week I was thinking about it to use it as a antenna as it has such a nice round shape. Oh yes, and I did today. I hooked up the balun and did make some tests. It brought my great DX from New Zealand to Alaska just with 5W. It was really amazing. I suppose the gain is huge as it is kind of a disc shaped with capacity legs as extra counterpoise.




The only problem that occured was when my daughter jumps on the trampoline. When I start transmitting with my 5W she seems to get electrocuted. As the antenna has so much gain every time I key the mike her hair is rising to the sky in the direction of the radiowaves. When I talk you see her hair moving at the rhythm of my voice. A strange experience for me and my daughter... I tried to make a video of it but when I entered the trampoline I could just make one photo. Switching to video mode I noticed the battery was flat and I had no spare one. So you all have to do with these photos and believe the rest...


8 comments:

Paul Stam PAØK said...

Hallo Bas, ha ha, ik moest gelijk even naar de datum kijken. Tja... ik ben er bijna ingetrapt. :-) 73 Paul

PE4BAS, Bas said...

:-)

Tjeerd, PA3GNZ said...

Bas, de datum doet mij ook vermoeden dat het hier om een 1 april grap gaat.

Erg onprofessioneel om de gegevens met stift op het certificaat te zetten. Mijn certificaat van enkele jaren geleden was door de printer gegaan. Kleine moeite lijkt mij.

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Tjeerd, de envelop was mooier als het certificaat. Ik hoef helemaal geen certificaat overigens. Daar doe ik het ook niet voor. Andere jaren heb ik ook geen certificaat gehad. En tegenwoordig kan het ook prima als PDF bij de e-mail. Kan ik hem zo in mijn "hall of fame" zetten. 73, Bas

Hans said...

Hallo Bas, ik dacht eerst dat de koorts bij mij was toegenomen. Totdat ik er naderhand achter kwam dat het vandaag 1 april zou zijn. Goeie grap.
Maar niet leuk dat Anneli haar 2 kleine vingertjes in een 220V wandcontactdoos moest steken, zodat haar papa die foto kon maken. 'Tis wat, als je vader zendamateur is. 73 Hans, PE1BVQ.

John AE5X said...

That is amazing, Bas - sort of a "Tesla" trampoline effect at RF frequencies! I will experiment with this phenomena myself but am very busy lately...perhaps I will have time next April 1!

73 de John AE5X

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Ja Hans, en zoals je ziet, blijven lachen! Keihard die meid....
Is de koorts al wat gezakt? 73, Bas

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Hello John, do you have a test person (preferably a young girl) with long hair then? Hope it works next year at that date....73, Bas
;-)