Time is my enemy. But I try to practice CW everyday. With the speed going up it is like starting all over again. How many days will it take to get at 88% or above again?
The random 5 characters per line in 1 minute training for accuracy is with 28/22 wpm even more difficult. I noticed I got about 20 faults average. But once I was lucky and got only 5 faults. Good days and bad days!
I had some interesting CW QSOs this month. Most intriguing was with VE3SPY. I was intending to do a short QSO just before dinner. But the operator kept asking. After the QSO and dinner I search for him on QRZ. An amazing story... and now I know why the SPY.
I had a short discussion about CW contesting with top CW contester PA4O on a club evening last friday. I told him I wanted to focus on contesting a little more especially for the CQWW CW in November. He recommended rufzXP training software to me as that is what he does training with. I have been doing rufzXP before and last weekend I tried a few times again, a lot of fun!
2 comments:
Good morning Bas, yes I agree that time can be an issue. Even when retired time seems to fly past as the day moves along. I too have tried to practice each day but as you said it can be a challenge. I have noticed that some days I do get into a slump with copying CW. I have also noticed that if I give it a break for a day or two I am very surprised how well I do on the next try. As for increasing your speed I agree it's like starting over. Recently I made the jump from 38 to 40 wpm. The best I can figure is the brain now hears a different rhythm regarding code. To me it as if the brain has to get used to the new music that represents letters and numbers.
Great to read the you are thinking of getting deeper in the code with CW contesting. I have worked PA4O many times in contests. Hope to make contact with you in November.
73,
Mike
VE9KK
Hello Mike, tnx for the comment which is always appreciated. You mentioned before that a break of several days could be a wise thing. So far I did not try. I have good days and bad days in decoding code. I cannot tell why and when. I'm sure I getting better over time but it is very very slow. You write about a rythm and music but I never hear this at all, at least I don't think so. May be I hear it but do not recognize at as a rythm? Morsecode is certainly not music as I know it. 73, Bas
Post a Comment