Sunday, July 16, 2017

Looks like RaDAR but isn't

Desperately seeking for time today to get my portable gear and get out for 4 hours.....well I can only dream of a RaDAR participation. But to get the feeling I put everything in the bag. FT-817, digimodem, MP-1 antenna, tripod, 7Ah battery, piece of RG58/U coax, RaDAR logsheets and a pencil. 8,3Kg in total. I travel all the way to the back of our garden and set it up in a hurry. Tuning the antenna after 5 minutes, didn't get a good SWR....5 minutes later I discovered I forgot to connect the radials. Too much hurry. It always amazes me how well the MP-1 receives. I had several stations on 20m with S9+, one of them was 4X6TT. I worked  LZ284SKD without any problem.




Now, I wanted to see if I could make any digi contact. I was planning to do some JT65 mode and for that you need to sync the time. To do that I made a portable WiFi hotspot with my phone so I had a connection with internet. That worked fine. Receive did very well but I couldn't get the whole setup to transmit my signal. Whatever I tried the radio did not switch to transmit. So, no further contacts. I was running out of time as it already started to get dark. So I quickly packed my gear and got it back in the shack were I tried and tested the whole digi setup again. It worked well this time so I guess I had a bad case of RFI into the modem.

I was actually glad I didn't pack for a real RaDAR challenge and just did this small experiment in the garden to get the feel of it. I really like the idea but to be successful you need some good preparation.

What I learned: Test the equipment in the field and not at the base station, I really need some kind of bracket or bag for my radio as I couldn't place it anywhere, don't use RG58 cable I had bad experiences with it in the past and had it again this time, use a light tablet instead of a laptop or get a small laptop.

The biggest problem I had with the laptop is that I could barely read the screen. I know a tablet does a lot better and has power enough for digimode.

Well, it will take some more testing and experience before I can participate in a RaDAR challenge for real. However the half hour I spend to get the feeling of it was very useful.




4 comments:

Hans said...

Hallo Bas,ik heb je verhaal met een glimlach gelezen, zo herkenbaar. Maar troost je, mij is het in het begin ook vaak overkomen dat ik wat vergeten had. Al doende leert men. Gewoon lijstje maken wat je mee moet nemen en dan wel afchecken hi.
Digitale mode portable is voor mij ook nog een probleem. Al heb ik het niet direct gemist maar tegenwoordig komt het wel steeds meer in. Ik ben dus ook op zoek naar een kleine laptop. De mogelijkheden met de tablet ben ik ook al aan het bekijken en ik ben aan het kijken naar softwareprogramma's die werken met een Symbian OS.
Ik heb nog een Psion 5MX PDA liggen en waar het display ook in daglicht goed leesbaar is. Wordt dus even zoeken.
Vanmiddag weer portable naar het Bergerbos en kijken of we weer mooie QSO's kunnen maken. Prettige dag, 73 Hans, PE1BVQ.

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Hallo Hans. inderdaad het aflezen van het scherm was het grootste probleem. En natuurlijk dat de boel niet wou zenden. De tijdsync via de WiFi hotspot ging prima. Het kost wel extra tijd om een digi setup te maken maar dan heb je waarschijnlijk meer succes. Al ontving ik op phone ook best wel wat en in iedergeval 1 QSO in het log. Eigenlijk zouden we zo een event samen moeten doen. 73, Bas

Hans said...

Hoi Bas, ik heb nog gekeken of er programma's zijn voor mijn Psion 5MX PDA, maar daar is niets voor. Te oud.
Wel ga ik komednde dagen de in en uitgangen van de USB van mijn tablet nader onderzoeken. TX-commando kan via de vox van de FT-817 dus dat moet werken. Ik moet alleen even uitvlooien welke programma's er op mijn tablet werken/kunnen werken. Toch maar even Julian raadplegen.
DE tijd houd mijn laptop ca. 24 uur redelijk op de juiste tijd dus dat probleem is ook opgelost, maar dan praat ik wel over de huidige grote laptop. Als ik er een kleine bij koop (wat de bedoeling is) dan weet ik niet hoe het met de tijd gaat. We wachten af en zoeken verder. 73 Hans, PE1BVQ

Photon said...

Yes, very wise words, Bas! I think all hams should do these field-ready tests regularly. Not only to participate in RaDAR, but to ensure that, when our neighbour installs a PV system or electric fences for the horses, we can escape easily to other locations and continue our beloved hobby, uninterrupted. This, sadly, is the increasingly common reality for us.