And indeed, the self vulcanizing tape was damaged so water could cause corrosion to the radial connection. I replaced the chocolate block which was partly corroded and replaced the interconnection wires. Replaced everything and made it waterproof again. Not really shocking but it can affect very weak signals. After a test SWR was a little better on all bands except the lower 10m band. Good enough for me.
|DIY tape & Industrial tape|
This damaged vulcanizing tape has occured to me before. There is a lot of quality difference between tape you can buy at the DIY market, internet and professional tapes. I now used a 3 layer thick industrial grade tape which is thicker and hopefully better UV resistant. It is also much more expensive of course.
After I finished the antenna it was time to enjoy the autumn garden.