Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Free fun on liberation day

Although the weather forecast was bad for today we had a beatiful sunny day till late in the afternoon. Temperature rising to 23,4C. We heard bad weather reports on the news in the rest of the country. We have been lucky and had a light thunderstorm with some rain for about a hour.

Liberation day is a day off from the job once in the 5 years for me. And today I would like to be a bit more active as PE45FREE. I was up early and found the bands not really open. Though, you never know what surprises are happening when calling CQ. I have been active on 40m and 20m today in LSB, USB, PSK63, PSK31 and SIM31. One of my first QSOs on 20m was surprisingly with AL7KC from Alaska, I think he was surpised as well to hear me. And although I was spotted on the cluster from the USA I hardly had any station calling after that. So I switched over to SIM31 and worked VK3AXF and VK6YM from Australia proving there was propagation and just no stations around. Late in the morning I started calling on 40m to give some european and especially dutch stations a chance. I had a pile-up but overall propagation was worse then expected. At least I spoke fellow blogger PC4T Paul, we had planned that and it luckely worked out. Although the "low" propagation I had a lot of fun and the surprises made me happy.

Till now I reached 209 QSOs, I have 791 to go to reach my goal. I will keep you all updated at least every week.

2 comments:

Paul Stam PAØK said...

Hallo Bas, ik moest toch de stekker eruit gooien, het zag er erg dreigend uit hier met het weer, toch bijna geen last gehad. Het ging vlak langs ons. Je was voor mij erg zacht met QSB. Heel wonderlijk, want andere Nederlandse stations waren goed te horen. En je werkte wel buitenlandse stations die je S9 gaven. Dus waarschijnlijk een lage stralingshoek van je antenne. Ik had je al met 5 watt aangeroepen maar dat kwam niet door. Uiteindelijk even 75 watt erin gegooid, en dus ook met moeite. SIM31 blijft toch een verrassing. Jammer dat er niet meer mensen gebruik ervan maken. Ik denk toch dat het echt goed werkt. 73 Paul

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Hallo Paul, binnen nederland ging inderdaad erg moeilijk. Komt ook inderdaad doordat ik een verticale antenne gebruik. Jammer dat de loop er niet meer staat, had me veel meer QSOs opgeleverd. SIM31 is echt een hele gevoelige mode en kan ook diep in de ruis nog decoderen. Helaas zijn het vaak wel elke dag dezelfde stations die QRV zijn. Die heb ik ondertussen zowel met mijn eigen call als met PE45FREE ondertussen allemaal zo een beetje wel gewerkt. Condities waren niet echt top gisteren, hoorde ook bijna geen stations op 40m rond die tijd. Alleen een paar F en I. Over het algemeen gaat het in de avond beter. Heb maandag ook nog een poging gedaan ind e RSGB contest, heb 1 station gewerkt uit Engeland. Ze waren over het algemeen eigenlijk alleen maar geïnteresseerd in engelsen onder elkaar. Terwijl buiten engeland ook gewerkt mag worden. 73, Bas