Monday, February 16, 2015

PACC 2015 QRP

Event: PACC 2015
Logger: N1MM+ most updated version
Station: Icom IC-706MKIIG (power in L pos.4W)
Antenna: HB9CV at 6m AGL, 84m horizontal loop at 7m AGL, Vertical HF multiband antenna at 9m AGL.

Well, it was a difficult weekend radiowise. On the other hand it was a very pleasant family weekend with 2 birthdays. After all it left me less time as expected to participate in the PACC this year. Only a few hours at night and a few in the morning. I decided to do it QRP this year and considering the amount of time I had it just went fine. I did some CW with the computer but the majority of contacts were made in SSB. No special DX and not so many multipliers. I was unable to make more then 1 QSO (with PI4H) on 160m, the antenna is not efficient for QRP there. I used my IC-706 as it has better filtering for CW/SSB in a contest. Besides that I used a JPS NIR10 audiofilter to test (more about that later on this blog). Power was on L(ow) of course which is about 4W QRP. I did however made 3 QRO 100W QSO's at night with DX which I removed from the contestlog. JW9JKA from Bear Isl. on 40m & 80m and OX3KQ on 80m. I couldn't let them go, it was a easy chance to work some new band DX. I did hear K1N Sunday morning on 80m so I thought to have a chance to work them. Well, the pile up was 20 Khz full of 9+60dB signals here. Only a few europeans came through, no chance at all. I will work Navassa Isl. in about 20 years, hopefully have some better equipment then ;-).

QRP wise I didn't work any special DX this time. I did do some CQ running and it worked out first half hour when I was spotted at the DX cluster. I tried several times after, but running didn't work out at all. So, most QSOs were made S&P. As always I met some friends on the bands. There was Bernard PB7Z which I met on several bands/modes, SM6VXI Engelhart who did hear me calling, PE2KM Kees which I didn't work for a long time and fellow QRP contester PF5T Frank. I know Bernard did a good job and beat his score from last year. I hope the others did well too. It was a limited participation this year but it was a nice test with QRP. I can say/write I earned every single QSO with hard work, not the easy way. Working QRP with 5W or less is totally different from a 100W station. I wish to thank everyone that was able to hear my tiny signal, I know it was not easy sometimes, some did have the patience some did not. Most Dutch operators have very good ears. Outside the Netherlands it was a completely different story...I learned that CW is not really working well the way I set it up. Better take some advice from Bernard PB7Z who does a really good contesting job with CW on a computer. I don't know what will happen next year but I will participate for shure, after all the PACC is always a lot of fun.

14 comments:

PC1I said...

Hello Bas, sure was fun to work you after a (too) long time. It sure was to lang as you remember my call as PE1KM. ;-) But OK, I am lying on my new started blog about you running QRP with a FT-817 so we are even... :-P

73, de Kees PE2KM

Hans said...

Hallo Bas, goed on te lezen, dat je ondanks je beperkte tijd, toch nog leuk heb mee kunnen doen met de PACC. Ik ben benieuwd naar de uitslag maar in de QRP sectie kan je toch nog hoog ge-eindigd hebben. Afwachten. Ik zelf kreeg helaas geen mogelijkheid vanwege plotselinge logé's. Ik had er graag nog wat willen werken, maar goed, volgende keer beter. 73 Hans, PE1BVQ

VE9KK said...

Good evening Bas, I guess when the sunspots are in the 40"s things slow down in contesting more so when you running QRP. This coming weekend I am going to give the ARRL DX CW contest a go with my QRP condo setup…….see how that goes.
Mike

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Hello Kees, hopefully I have it right in the log. I guess next time I'll wait with writing till I had some rest. Sorry for the mistake....73, Bas

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Hallo Hans, geen idee of ik hoog eindig. Maar maakt ook niet uit. Het gaat altijd om het meedoen. In iedergeval krijg ik weer een vaantje. Jammer dat het jou niet gelukt is. 73, Bas

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Hello Mike, I guess things will slow down yes. Propgation will be going down next years. Good luck with the ARRL DX CW. 73, Bas

Paul Stam PAØK said...

Hallo Bas, mooi gedaan, zelfs CW. Ik heb wat punten weggegeven op diverse banden, met name op 40 m. Maar ja, een shack in de huiskamer is geen succes in het weekend. Zeker niet met een contest. Condities waren ook niet al te best. Op 10 m niet veel bijzonders gehoord. 73 Paul PC4T

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Hallo Paul, ik kan niet beoordelen hoe de condities waren. Ik heb zelf wel een paar QSO's gemaakt op 10m SSB/CW. Dat was heel vroeg in de ochtend. 80m en 40m waren in iedergeval open richting noord. 40m was in de avond vrij rustig. Op de belangrijke tijden dat de condities op z'n best zouden moeten zijn was ik er niet helaas. Heb jij QRP meegedaan? Je kan iedergeval je log insturen voor het vaantje als je dat leuk vind. 73, Bas

Tjeerd, PA3GNZ said...

Ik vond de condities ook niet geweldig. Ondanks dit met PA6W (MOST) boven de 1000 qso's kunnen maken.

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Hallo Tjeerd, als ik zie wat PI4H gewerkt heeft dan waren de condities echt niet slecht. Je moet ook geluk hebben en op de juiste band zijn op het juiste moment. Die keuze kan soms ongelukkig uitpakken. Het probleem is meestal dat je niet veel luistert als conteststation. Tenzij je een 2e radio standby hebt staan. 73, Bas

Paul Stam PAØK said...

Ik werkte met 50 watt. Die logs invoeren heb ik meestal niet zo'n zin in. Ik ben een beetje lui wat dat betreft. ;-) Op 40 meter viel het wel mee met de condities. 73 Paul

Bert, PA1B said...

Hallo Bas, mooi lijstje voor S&P. Ja. . . verjaardagen gaan voor. Ik heb 7 MHz weer herontdekt. Toch nog 50 QRP QSO's gemaakt. 73, bert

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Hallo Bert, ben zelf niet echt een rasQRPer. Maar af en toe vind ik de uitdaging wel leuk. 40m kan inderdaad leuk zijn. Vooral als je bijv. net als jij met een inv-V werkt. 73, Bas

Bert, PA1B said...

Hallo Bas, Ik ben tevreden met mijn inverted V. Het is een rondstralende multiband antenne, die ik voed via een symmetrische tuner. 73, Bert