Monday, January 5, 2015

30m W5OLF WSPR VCXO-AXE beacon kit (2)


 Our little girl was at grandma's house between Christmas and New Years eve. So, we had a couple of quiet days. Ideal to build a project like this. First of all I had to solder te small VCXO, the most difficult part to solder as it has no normal connections. It took me a while and after I thought it was allright I checked the connections with a magnifying glass. It looked ok so I continued with the resistors, capacitors and transistors. Jay provided a excellent step-to-tep description for the kit and I had no problems to assemble. Then I had to wind my first torroid ever. 29 turns on a small ring, a very small ring and very thin wire for my big hands. As you can see on the photos the ring is even smaller as the picture of Jay's description. Actually it didn't give me trouble at all, the picture of it in the manual how to count the windings is very clear. I didn't solder the power connector but attached a supply lead directly. Now it is time for the most exciting moment, does it work?


6 comments:

Hans said...

Hallo Bas, zie er al netjes uit. Laat het ons maar gauw weten. Succes, 73 Hans, PE1BVQ

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Ik wil de spanning een beetje opvoeren Hans haha. Ben net begonnen op 30m uit te zenden. Heb nog wat extra koeling gemaakt op de 7805. Als je in de gelegenheid bent om te luisteren op wspr 30m zie je het signaal misschien. 73, Bas

Anonymous said...

The older we get, the harder it is to see all those small parts, too! I look at some of these circuit boards and just wonder how people do it. Great job and looking forward to hear more about this project, Bas! Happy New Year!

Hans said...

Hoi Bas, speciaal voor jou zal ik nu voor jou WSPR op 30m laten lopen. Kijken of we elkaar kunnen spotten. Succes!. 73 Hans, PE1BVQ

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Heb je nog niet gezien in de lijst Hans, maar kan nog komen...73, Bas

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Happy new year Phil, it is not easy to see the parts. That's why I used magnifying glasses. And this board was not even that small. Imagine if it was SMD! 73, Bas