Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Bad HF propagation?

When I read some blogs here and there it seems there are no sunspots and bad propagation on the HF bands. Now, I don't have much time to listen out last couple of weeks so what can I tell about it? I knew that some "youngsters on the air" participants from the Netherlands would be on air fridayevening from Finland on both 40 and 20m. It was actually easy to work them on both bands. Since I'm painting the house here there are days that I'm already painting at 4 UTC in the morning just before I have to go working. This morning I was finished early and had 15 minutes to be on the radio. 20m was full of north american signals, most from the west-coast. I heard stations from Oregon, Washington, Arizona and some others with sometimes S7-9 all in SSB! I wouldn't call that bad propagation! The only QSO I made was with N8MAS Mark from Ohio. The eQSL card has already been received...

Als ik sommige blogs lees dan moet ik geloven dat er geen zonnevlekken meer zijn en dat de propagatie op  HF erg slecht is. Nu heb ik de laatste weken niet zoveel tijd gehad voor de radio dus wat kan ik er over vertellen? Ik wist dat er een paar Nederlandse deelnemers aan "youngsters on the air" in de lucht zouden zijn vanuit Finland vrijdagavond op 40 en 20m. Ze waren eigenlijk zeer gemakkelijk te werken op beide banden. Omdat ik het huis aan het verven ben zijn er dagen dat ik erg vroeg aan het werk ga (6 uur lokale tijd). Deze morgen was ik op tijd klaar met wat ik wou doen. Ik had nog een kwartiertje voor de radio. 20m zat vol met signalen uit noord amerika de meeste vanuit de westkust. Ik hoorde o.a. Oregon, Washington, Arizona en een aantal andere staten met signalen van soms S7-9! Ik zou dat niet echt slechte propagatie noemen! Het enige QSO dat ik maakte was met N8MAS Mark uit Ohio. De eQSL kaart heb ik ondertussen al ontvangen...


4 comments:

VE9KK said...

Good evening Bas, I too have heard some stations from Europe coming in and for some reason even though they are S7 or higher I just can't get the to hear me. I will try again this weekend but it could be that I too have not been on all that much but the times I am on I can hear the DX but not able to work it.
Mike

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Hello Mike, I'm certain someone can hear you. With QRP levels it's always a matter of patience. But time is an issue I know that all too well. 73, Bas

Paul Stam PAØK said...

Hallo Bas, het is altijd de moeite waard om te luisteren, ongeacht de HF voorspellingen. Je weet maar nooit. Deze heb je dan toch mooi te pakken. 73 Paul

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Ach ja, niet spectaculair misschien Paul en ook niet QRP. Maar in weinig tijd toch nog wat QSO's. 73, Bas