Sunday, October 3, 2010

PSKMail e-mail via HF radio

PSKMail on top of FLDIGI
Imagine you're on a uninhabited island or sailing on a boat far away from everything and you want to be able to e-mail and write in your blog. Well, I think that would be very interesting and to experiment with it is something different from a QSO in PSK, JT65, CW or SSB. Since I was a regular user of packetradio in the nineties I got hold of one thing. I would like to be able to send messages via radio (Oh, Yes I'm into SMS as well ;-)  ). It's not that I want to use it on a daily basis, but just to see if I could with just a computer, radio and antenna. PSKMail is a e-mail system to use on HF just doing what I was thinking of, actually I did discover this software earlier but thought it was only for linux. After all it works on Windows as well, but it's very difficult to get it working. My target was to send a message that would appear on my blog, and after hours it did finally that. If you want to experiment  I have a few tips:


Carefully read the FAQ and follow the instructions.
It's handy to have a gmail account.
Don't forget to execute the programs in Windows XP compatible mode.


After hours trying without results I did mail one of the developers of PSKMail PA0R Rein he gave me the following hints: Mode has to be on Mail/APRS and DCD in the configuration on 1. Of course the rest is pure luck because you never know how propagation between you and the serverstation is. It took me a few hours to finally send a correct message via a German serverstation on 80m. Of course there are better systems around (winlink, but you need a separate modem) but PSKMail is just to keep it simple so you can send and receive messages with limited HF equipment. PSKMail has more options like HF APRS, but I'm not interested in that at the moment. It's nice software to experiment with and if I ever go on vacation I will certainly try to e-mail and write to my blog via HF radio.


Some interesting links:
http://pskmail.wikispaces.com/
http://www.pskmail.it/


Stel je voor, je zit als zendamateur met een QRP radio en antenne op een onbewoond eiland of een schip ver van de bewoonde wereld en je wilt toch je e-mail kunnen lezen en versturen. Nog mooier je wilt natuurlijk ook je blog bijwerken. Dat spreekt mij wel aan, en het is weer eens wat anders dan QSOs maken via PSK, JT65, CW of SSB. Sinds ik in de jaren 90 vrij fanatiek was met het bedrijven van packetradio heb ik er toch wat aan  overgehouden, mijn interesse om berichten te kunnen versturen via radio (en ja SMSen doe ik ook). Het gaat mij niet om het dagelijks gebruik, maar meer om te zien of het ook kan. Het liefst zo eenvoudig mogelijk. PSKMail is zo een e-mail systeem voor gebruik op HF dat eigenlijk nog vol op in ontwikkeling is. Ik had er al eens eerder over gelezen, maar dacht dat het alleen op linux zou werken. Uiteindelijk bleek dat niet zo te zijn, maar om het werkende te krijgen viel nog niet mee. Het uiteindelijke resultaat moest een berichtje op mijn blog zijn dat ik er via de radio naar toe gezonden had, dat is uiteindelijk gelukt. Voor degenen die het wil proberen nog even de volgende tips:


Volg de instructies uit de FAQ goed op.
Een gmail account is wel zo makkelijk.
Vergeet niet evt. de programma's te draaien in Windows XP compatible modus.


Nadat ik al uren geprobeerd had zonder resultaat heb ik 1 van de ontwikkelaars van PSKMail PA0R Rein maar eens gemaild. Hij gaf mij 2 tips: Mode moet op Mail/APRS staan en DCD in de configuratie op 1.
Uiteraard blijft het verder een kwestie van geluk, want condities tussen jou en het serverstation zijn niet voorspelbaar. Het heeft mij een paar uur gekost voordat ik het bericht correct kon verzenden via een Duitse server op 80m. Natuurlijk zijn er ook betere systemen (winlink, is wel een apart modem voor nodig) maar bedenk wel dat PSKMail zo eenvoudig mogelijk gehouden is om met zo weinig mogelijk apparatuur toch via HF te kunnen mailen. PSKMail heeft nog veel meer opties, o.a. HF APRS. Mijn interesse gaat daar momenteel niet naar uit. Het is in ieder geval wel de moeite waard om eens een beetje te experimenteren met PSKMail. En mocht ik een keer op vakantie gaan, dan wil ik zeker proberen te e-mailen en mijn blog bij te werken via HF radio.






2 comments:

Casey Bahr said...

Bas,

The first problem I ran into was trying to get jpskmail to install. When I try to execute the .jar file it complains about a configuration.xml file being inaccessible.

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Well Casey, I'm not a computer expert. I tested the program and it's connection. And I could get it working even posted something here on the blog via the radio. But when it comes to xml files and so, you better ask the programmer himself. Good luck. 73, Bas